Addison County 2023 Flood Response

What Comes Next?

Want to Help Others?

Please donate to a reputable charity that assists in recovery, such as (but not limited to):

Addison County United Way: 

ACORN (Addison County Relocalization Network):

NOFA-VT (Northeast Organic Farming Association of VT) Farmer Emergency Fund:

Vermont Flood Response and Recovery Fund: 

Vermont Disaster Recovery Fund:

Public Assistance (For Municipalities)

Vermont League of Cities & Towns has the most up-to-date and valuable flood response and recovery information and resources available at their website:

Addison County has been officially declared for Public Assistance (along with all VT counties except for Grand Isle, Franklin and Essex). for the July 2023 Storm (DR4720). This means that in Addison County those town organizations, schools, and certain non-profit organizations affected by the storm will be eligible for up to 75% federal share in recovery costs to rebuild again.  VEM has a team of individuals ready to assist in this process and has posted answers to some commonly asked questions here.

After your town registers in the FEMA Grants Portal, you will be assigned a FEMA program delivery manager and a STATE Public Assistance Coordinator to help you through the process.  You may also be assigned one of their Guidehouse Contract Consultants.   Please do not do anything other than registering for Public Assistance for DR4720, until you have been asked.

A Public Assistance website full of information, including a general questions answered, how to apply for the PA program, the schedule for next week’s applicant briefings, FEMA’s current equipment rate sheet and more, can be found here FEMA Public Assistance (PA) FAQs | Vermont League of Cities and Towns (

If you still have further questions, reach out to Kimberly Canarecci, Vermont State Public Assistance Officer, at [email protected]

Individual Assistance (For Individuals)

Addison County has NOT qualified for FEMA’s Individual Assistance program, based on the amount of private residential damage across the county.

If your property was significantly damaged, start by documenting as much as you can (take pictures of the damages, save receipts, any contractor estimates, etc.) and contact your insurance company to see if they will cover any of the repair costs.

You may also be eligible for a disaster loan from the Small Business Administration ( or helpline at 1-800-659-2955) which provides low-interest loans to homeowners (as well as businesses).

Efficiency Vermont has a flood recovery webpage with lots of well-organized information on FEMA and State resources, energy efficient resources, and financial support.

For anyone who may be interested in pursuing a property buyout, grant funding is available through Vermont Emergency Management (VEM) to cover 100% of the project cost for the voluntary purchase of properties (residential, commercial, or vacant parcels) that are at risk from flooding. If you are a property owner  considering pursuing a voluntary buyout, please fill out this intake form: If you have questions or would like to request a site visit, please reach out to [email protected].

Copyright © 2024 Addison County Regional Planning Commission | Vermont

Site by Scout Digital