Originally granted by Benning Wentworth (Colonial Governor of New Hampshire) under the name of “Pocock” on 26 June 1762 to Samuel Averill and sixty-two associates, the first permanent settlement was not established until the summer of 1786. The Town of Bristol was given its current name by an act of the Vermont Legislature on 21 October 1789. The delineated area of the town was changed by the Legislature 18 November 1824, when about 4,400 acres of the township was allocated to the Town of Lincoln.
Please visit Bristol’s website for additional information, documents and events pertaining to the town.
Jen Myers, Clerk and Treasurer
P.O. Box 249
Addison County Regional Planning Commission | 14 Seminary Street Middlebury, VT 05753 | 802.388.3141 |